Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

rob reng & thief - dope pope/dope pope maelstrom mix [west]
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: rob reng & thief - dope pope/dope pope maelstrom mix [west]
rob reng & thief - dope pope/dope pope maelstrom mix [west] 16 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
review by d. downes nsb.

wst0014 will be in the shops by the second week of july

Rob Reng & Thief - Dope Pope [Maelstrom Remix] (West)

preface: this fine piece of musical literature makes full use of the west records funky funky wah wah guitar™ or wrffwwg™ (pronounced werf-weg™) for short.

without futher ado -

Dope Pope

this tune hasnt been going for more than 10 seconds before we see the first occurance of the west records funky funky wah wah guitar™, which sets the mood until the first build. it's there that we see this little ultra funky bassline come in. that builds up to this bassline that i can only imagine destroying some poor clubs bassbins. the low end on this bassline is fuckin deep as fuck. somewhere right now, even a corpse is crapping its pants at this low end. imagine the gap band getting molested by james brown and david byrne all at the same time, and this is what you would get. the bass drives the tune with assorted vocal samples, and the werfweg™. the main build sees the tune build up with these nice little electro bleeps. and some angry, but still funky stabs until the main bassline comes back in at the break. the guitars really do work like a charm on this tune. trippy at points, and funky as balls at others.

well done sirs.

Dope Pope (Maelstrom Mix)

maelstrom surprised me on his mix of this. it opens with that chunky house break that led me to beleive that he was going to go in the same vein as the original, but from the first build, you can tell something is going to be different. at the top of the first build, he switches it up to house...and i mean some angry farty house. shit that i would not expect from maelstrom, but think is freakin sweet. he changes it back to breaks leading up to the next break. the tune gets kinds dubby before the house comes back in with this like evil fucking groove to accompany the farty bassline. maelstrom makes good usage of the funky low end of the original, but actually does not use the west records funky funky wah wah guitar, opting for more analog sounds. wonky at times, but good contrast for the driving nature. excellent mix.
steelz
Fresh Breaker
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: rob reng & thief - dope pope/dope pope maelstrom mix [west] 16 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Can't wait for this one!!! :sing:
bernie
Junior Breaker
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Bernie

Go to topPage: 1
Moderators: savagetraxx